Any piece of equipment that you have can be enhanced with the help of gems and/or enchantments.
In order to socket a gem or enchantment, follow these steps:
1. Hover your mouse over a desired piece of gear and click the the info icon:
2 Click any "green bag" button below the gems' or enchantments' icon to view the items available for socketing:
3. Hover your mouse over an enchantment or a gem and click the arrow icon to socket it:
The only two ways to obtain enchantment scrolls are completing daily quests or purchasing enchantment chests within game offers. The only way to obtain gems is to explore Rare crypts.
In order to socket gems and enchantments of higher rarity into the gear of higher quality, you need to research relevant technologies in the Academy.
If you ever socket a gem into a piece of equipment by mistake, or want to swap it for another one, you can always remove it safely with the help of Jeweler's Pincers of relevant quality (which depends on the gem's rarity):
1. Click the arrow icon on the gem:
2. you will be able to buy and use (or just use if you already have one) a relevant item in the menu that pops up next:
It is not possible though to safely remove an enchantment. You have to delete it altogether should you want to insert a new one:
1. Hover your mouse over a socketed enchantment, then click the "X" icon:
2. Confirm the deletion: